Sunday, October 28, 2012

From Coast to Coast

It is obvious that I have made the east coast to west coast relocation...and now...it's time to go back!  I have recently been offered and accepted a position at Virginia Wesleyan College as an assistant athletic trainer.  This is the same institution that I served as a graduate assistant athletic trainer at during graduate school.   I am extremely excited about this opportunity as it is a full-time position that offers full benefits.  It is also in a place that I fell in love with - the beach!  I will officially start my position on Monday November 12th - YES, THAT IS IN JUST A COUPLE OF WEEKS!  My plans are currently to fly home on November 6th with my belongings, enjoy home for a few days, and then drive out to Virginia Beach on Friday the 9th.  I am currently in the process of securing housing - a condo unit right on the Lake Rudee and just a couple of blocks from the ocean front :D  I had actually accepted this position a few weeks ago, but it is just now that I believe all necessary parties know of my decision so it can "go public" -- so sorry for the delay.

This move is a little bittersweet as I have only been in California for a few months.  However, I'm very proud of myself for having met many of the challenges that I set for myself. I have:
  > lived without a car and learned to rely only on my bike and the public bus
  > lived with little more than the necessities of life
  > learned to cook a little more
  > proven to myself that I can exercise on my own - even without a gym
  > applied concepts discussed in graduate school to my professional practice
  > have started to become an independent adult...slow start...  

These experiences have led me to really appreciate and understand many factors facing low income individuals and families.
  > it makes sense to buy a McDonald's meal for $5 instead of three fruits or vegetables for the same $5 -- the McDonald's will be more filling for sure
  > all transportation requires intent - one would not absentmindedly spend money on a bus fare ($5 or more round trip) or the extra twenty-thirty minutes of travel time just to check out a sale at a department store
  > when easy transportation is not an option and you have little money to spend, it's a tough decision to whether one will be sedentary or get out and be active
  > understanding the difference between want and need - even whether I need or want lotion

I am extremely grateful that I have had these experiences!  Although at first I thought moving would eliminate any potential for more of these lessons I have now realized that I will continue to grow and learn from the experiences that I'll have in Virginia.  Moving back to Virginia will not be a case of me going back to my "old life" there because I'll be in a different position at VWC, I'll be living on my own, I'll have other responsibilities (i.e. paying back college loans), and NO SCHOOL!!  Obviously, I am most excited about the last statement :)  Despite not being in school, I am excited to still be associated with the Old Dominion University's post-professional athletic training education program as I know it will continue to challenge my professional practice and be a leader to the graduate assistants at VWC and in the profession.

I will continue to write about my exploring, dreaming, and discovering of the east coast so stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, you've been back there almost a week now - probably without a home or permanent location, but out here we don't care - what's happening on the new (old) coast? Miss you & hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete