I have safely made my way to my "permanent home" here in the Golden State. "Home" is now
here in Marina, California - a central coast town on the coast of Monterey Bay. It's a beautiful place that is characterized by rolling hills and agriculture with weather similar to San Fransisco because of it's proximity to the bay. The campus of California State University, Monterey Bay is actually situated on Ft. Ord, a previous military base which still has obvious remnants of its history. The campus has bought many former military buildings and converted them for appropriate use as collegiate buildings. Although the campus center likely looks similar to any other college campus, it's the outskirts of the campus that continue to marvel me. The lands are cluttered with abandoned buildings, vacant parking lots, and roads to nowhere. The setting is intriguing, a bit desolate, and a recent controversy. There is currently debate as to what to do with the land that remains unused: remain wild or sell for development. It will be interesting to see what happens with the land if anything occurs while I'm here.
 |
| Roadways to nowhere - now part of the disc golf course |
 |
| Old Barracks |
Beyond the immediate area, there is the beautiful beach and coastal town of Monterey. The area is quaint and includes a Fisherman's Wharf, complete with barking sea lions, cute otters, and fiber filled seagulls. My co-worker took me to the local farmer's market that provided for cheap hybrid and regular
 |
| Yes, that ginormous sea lion is just a few steps away! |
produce. I bought two plum-apricot hybrids and an avocado - both were delicious! I will most definitely be making my way back there and likely will try some highly recommended crepes and doughnuts. The market also provides clothing, music, different wines, olive oils, dips, and even musical instruments. It's great to live somewhere where I can ride past the farms that supply the stands at the fame's market - that's FRESH!!
I am living with Sonja, the new assistant softball coach at CSUMB and her dog Baxter, in a two bedroom, one bath government issued apartment building. The building itself was not built for Chicago's four seasons as it boasts thin windows, paper thin walls and doors and very little insulation. It will definitely aid me in fulfilling my goal of living simply - no stainless steel appliances, a shared washroom, plywood cabinets, and simple hardware. I look forward to further exploring the area and sharing my experience with you.
Hooray! I look forward to hearing about this adventure :)
ReplyDelete