Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow

Maybe...the weather here in Marina is a bit different than many of us midwesterners would expect for an August day in California.  Marina has welcomed me with overcast skies, temperatures in the 50s and 60s, and daily fog/mist :)  I think this information should also be included in the California misconceptions commercial!  Like Betty White suggests, come visit and I'll show you how I roll - or I'll just tell you now and you can visit when it is all sunshine and surf.
Definitely overcast

Some sunshine, but proof of fog in the distance



















After sleeping under the covers with a cool breeze blowing through the open window, I wake up, slip on my slippers and get ready for the day.  I head out to the foggy, misty morning where clouds and cool temperatures are a staple.  Riding my bike over the demanding hills of the three mile commute to work reminds me how strong a sea breeze can be.  I struggle to decide if the overcast skies require my polarized sunglasses or not.  I often cannot decide the proper clothing to wear because too much wind proofing can inhibit the ventilation I need for all the body heat I'm producing while biking; pants can be too restrictive and hot, while shorts lack sufficient material to maintain my body temperature; all my athletic footwear is mesh, but they allow too much wind through them.  So, what I have found, despite my insecurities while walking around in such attire, is that capri cut running tights are the perfect bottoms for commuting.  And a dry-fit material long sleeve top compliments the part workout, part commute.  Footwear dilemma is yet to be solved.

Although the weather proves to be a little bit of a problem for my morning and evening commute, it is my absolute favorite for casual wear!  Is there anything easier and more comfortable than throwing on a pair of jeans, v-neck, comfy sweatshirt, and fuzzy boots?!  I also look forward to exploring fashion more and actually purchasing and sporting more publicly pleasing attire - a big thank you to pinterest!



So despite the misunderstanding of what moving to the beach meant in regards to weather, it's a happy change from the heat wave plagued Chicagoland summer.  However, I don't want you to get too upset, the weather is about to turn around.  The start of the "Indian summer" is around the corner.  The start of September will be accompanied by warmer temperatures and more sun.  This serves as an invitation to all to know that between September and early November is primetime to visit when you need a warm getaway :)  Let me know when you'll be by, hopefully I'll have my commuting and casual wardrobe figured out by then.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a total change for you - Chicago, Virginia Beach, Chicago and now Marina! I'm sure it's the being the grown up portion of this all that is the most complex. You seem to be taking everything in stride - but then I never doubted that. I can't wait to visit! We just had all of our trees trimmed and the fruit trees removed. And of course we just lost Sam, so it will be a period of adjustment. You are in my prayers, always. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete